When it comes to biblical womanhood, many love referencing Proverbs 31, and for good reason. There we see an elaborate illustration of the godly wife and mother, of a Lord-fearing lady who ardently serves her home.
Yet there are many other proverbs that give insight into how a woman is to walk, and what kind of womanly influence is precious or repugnant to God.
Take a look below, and glean a few takeaways with me! Such pieces of advice address our hearts, tongues, and priorities – with some specifically aimed at wives and mothers.
1. A gracious woman gets honor, and violent men get riches. Proverbs 11:16
2. Like a gold ring in a pig’s snout is a beautiful woman without discretion. Proverbs 11:22
3. The wisest of women builds her house, but folly with her own hands tears it down. Proverbs 14:1
4. The mouth of forbidden women is a deep pit; he with whom the Lord is angry will fall into it. Proverbs 22:14
5. The woman Folly is loud; she is seductive and knows nothing. Proverbs 9:13
Do your words refresh or stress? Do you exercise wisdom or showcase folly? A woman’s behavior is very indicative of her relationship with the Lord, and the value of her character.
Women who share words of grace, discernment, and purity are pleasing in the sight of God and man. Such godly ladies build up others, creating atmospheres that lift spirits and flourish!
Folly is upon us when we speak brashly, seeking attention or gain for ourselves. This only leads to trouble.
Be in God’s Word so you can be fueled with words of hope! Don’t fall into worldly lust, but pursue a heavenly heart.
6. An excellent wife is the crown of her husband, but she who brings shame is like rottenness in his bones. Proverbs 12:4
7. He who finds a wife finds a good thing and obtains favor from the Lord. Proverbs 18:22
8. House and wealth are inherited from fathers, but a prudent wife is from the Lord. Proverbs 19:14
9. It is better to live in a corner of the housetop than in a house shared with a quarrelsome wife. Proverbs 21:9
10. A foolish son is ruin to his father, and a wife’s quarreling is a continual dripping of rain. Proverbs 19:13
11. It is better to live in a desert land than with a quarrelsome and fretful woman. Proverbs 21:19
God shares sweet encouragement for the wives out there—we have the potential to be a direct blessing from Him, of far more worth than any riches!
An upright wife brings glory and honor to her man, by the excellency of her ways. Her prudence—or thoughtfulness over others and her abode—is a lovely fruit of her faith in the Lord!
However, a wife can make or break her household. Scripture’s language is strong—a nagging wife can compare to a sorrowful storm or dry, life-draining desert. Wow!
If we lose sight of Christ, there’s the danger of becoming quarrelsome—a wife that generates unnecessary friction due to discontent. May we seek to love our God and husbands wholeheartedly, for this leads to peace and prosperity.
12. My son, keep your father’s commandment, and forsake not your mother’s teaching. Proverbs 6:20
13. A wise son makes a glad father, but a foolish son is a sorrow to his mother. Proverbs 10:1
14. A wise son makes a glad father, but a foolish man despises his mother. Proverbs 15:20
15. The rod and reproof give wisdom, but a child left to himself brings shame to his mother. Proverbs 29:15
You may be thinking: these are about sons, not women! Yet the son reflects the mother, the one who teaches him.
These proverbs reinforce the powerful reality that our mothering has a long-term impact on the attitude of our children…and that we should be so deeply tied to the nurturing of our children that their disobedience or disrespect is heartbreaking.
The last proverb gives us a solution. It tells us moms that we have to be willing to love our children through discipline, correcting their wrongs with devoted discipleship, for it reaps godliness rather than shame.
While touching aspects of womanhood a little differently than Proverbs 31, these proverbs provide wisdom that remind us to speak sweet words, serve our husbands joyfully, and impact our children for good.
Sign up and receive access to Free Indeed’s Freebie Library, which includes the lovely printable of Proverbs 11:16!
Also see my newest printable Bible study that dives deeper into this topic – Biblical Womanhood Defined.